- 8 tbs butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dried currants, soaked in warm water for 1 hour and drained
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 ts baking soda
Here’s what do to:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream the butter with the eggs and yolks until pale yellow, about 4 minutes
- Switch to the dough hook, and with the mixer running, add half of the flour. Add half of the milk and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the remainder of the flour, followed by the remainder of the milk and then all of the sugar. Mix for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit. Butter and flour the panettone mold (or deek cake pan).
- Spread the dough out into a rough square on a floured work surface. Sprinkel with the currants, orange & lemon zest, and baking soda, and knead for 5-10 minutes.
- Place in the pan or mold, bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The top will be cracked. Unmold the cake onto a rack. invert and allow to cool.