Ravioli – home made (clearly!)
A few weeks ago I posted a recipe on how to make pasta dough. Here is a recipe on how to use that dough to make Ravioli!
All you need is:
- The dough
- A pasta machine (or a rolling pin)
- The filling you want
In this recipe I used 4 cheese filling using ricotta, parmesan, cream cheese and mozzarella. You just mix the 4 cheeses together in a bowl with an egg and voila you have the filling. Here is how to do it:
- Roll a piece of the dough through the pasta machine a few times on the largest setting. Between each time, fold the sheet once before you run it through again. Then, slowly, you reduce the opening when you put it through until you reach the lowest setting. Use flour as necessary so it doesn’t stick.
- Once it is as flat as possible, do the same to another piece of dough so you have 2 sheets of pasta dough.
- Use a brush to “paint” the sheets with egg (so that they will stick together).
- Put the filling in dots along the sheet of pasta dough with enough space in between so you can close them.
- Cover the sheet with the filling with the other sheet, press down around the filling to close it. Then you can use a knife or a ravioli cutter to cut out the ravioli.
- Boil them in water until they float.
- Optional: fry them quickly in a pan with butter and sage.
Mine don’t look very nice but they taste good! Another filling is ricotta and spinach (with an egg), also delicious!
My pasta machine is from Eataly and I LOVE it! Next step is to make tajarin or tagliatelle or something else cool. Stay tuned!